Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Little 'Slice' of Heaven

We had a great time visiting our friends in Richmond, but we're ready to get back to Queenstown. Monday morning we woke up bright and early at 5am! This way we could leave at 6am to drive back to Queenstown. The plan was to get home around 4:30pm, so Mari could get ready for work by 6pm. The car ride definitely did not get any easier. Danny was car sick the whole ride from Mari and I getting really comfortable with driving around all of the twisting and winding roads. We made it back by 4pm, a record time of doing that drive under 10 hours! We were all really happy when we got out of the car and Mari had plenty of time to get ready for work. I prepared all night for my interview with Trojan Holdings for the next morning.
I had my interview with Emma Bennett the next morning. I felt really prepared since my mom helped me get ready for this interview. It went really well and she said she would give me a call in a couple days to let me know the outcome. Emma ended up calling me that night to offer me the accounts assistant job! I was so excited that I had to call my mom and dad at 2am their time and tell them the good news! Then I had to rush to Rydges and work with Mari.
Mari had to work at 6am the next day. It doesn't get any easier getting up that early. I went into town to meet Emma, my new boss, and go over my new contract. Danny had her trail at Winnie's Pizza Restaurant and was given a $50 voucher for working there that night. We were all excited to have free Winnie's in the future!
On Friday, Mari and I worked at an amazing race competition for medical students. Our flatmate, Johnny, hooked us up with this gig through a friend of his. We were rewarded with pizza, beer, and $70 for sitting outside for 4 hours and handing out clues to different teams coming to our different destinations. Compared to Mari, I had it pretty easy. I waited for clues and told the teams good luck. Mari had to watch the teams build sand castles to a certain height and then she had shovel the castles back down to ground level. She wasn't to happy, since she got blisters from all of her shoveling. On a better note, we met some guys that were working at the race as well who were looking to put together a hockey team. They didn't sound very good and Mari reassured them that she would blow them out of their socks with her talent. That was a good laugh! (but probably true) While we did this most of the day, Danny had another trail at Pub on the Wharf where she got to do some bartending.
On Saturday, we used Danny's voucher from Winnie's to have one large Montonara Pizza. It was a big piece of heaven! The Montonara pizza is a specialty at Winnie's that comes with this delicious pistachio sour cream to put on top. It is amazing! After that, we stopped at the liquor store because they had a great special where you buy one 12pack of beer and you get a free large pizza from a Harry's Pool Bar. We thought that was a great deal! Then we got home and our flatmates taught us how to play poker. It was really fun to start bonding with Steph, Morvin, and Johnny. Mosh, our other flatmate, had to work but, we met up with her later since we went out on the town with Johnny. As we were walking to town, Johnny decided to hitch hike and put out his thumb as a large, empty charter bus was driving by. The nice old bus driver opened his door right up and offered to give us all a ride to town! Talk about a sweet ride! Johnny took us to different bars to experience all the different NZ music cultures. Reggae, Techno, and Dub were all the new music we tried dancing to but, we are not that good compared to the New Zealand crowd.....yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment